Date Published: April 7, 2016
Application: Data Acquisition & Control
Measurements: 4-20mA, Air Pressure, CAN/OBD, Counter, Current, Digital, Displacement, Event, Force, Other, Position, Pressure, RPM, RTD, Runtime, SDI-12, Serial, Shock, Speed, Temperature, Thermistor, Thermocouple, Voltage
Download the PDF version
ADwin Simulates the Real World for ECUs Under Test
ADwin data acquisition and control systems are commonly used to provide control of hydraulic test stands, installed with the goal of improved PQ for ECUs. An ADwin system can provide extremely high-speed control with speeds of 100 to 300 kHz. These real-time systems are ideal for automotive test and diagnostic applications. CAS DataLoggers distributes German manufacturer ADwin in America—give our experienced Applications Engineers a call at (800) 956-4437 and see what ADwin can do for your test bench application!
Control of Hydraulic Test stands:
Hydraulic test stands are diagnostic tools commonly used for End-of-Line (EOL) Testing, Product R&D, and various PQ/certification tests. The test stand simulates real-world conditions for the ECU (electronic control unit) under test just as it simulates its own function, whether it’s a hydraulic pump or a motor, valve, cylinder etc.
Users then compare the ECU’s test results with the manufacturer’s specification to determine component performance and quality. This helps ensure that the component is ready for the marketplace and/or installation.
In a common application, hydraulic pumps and motors are tested for multiple parameters. The test bench itself has ports to interface with the ECU test component, while motors and pumps can be tested via foot or flange mounting plates.
The SPI communication standard (Serial Peripheral Interface) is used in ECU test and many other test applications. ADwin’s ADlog software supports many different types of input modules including analog/digital inputs, counter, encoder inputs, CAN bus interface, serial interface, SPI, etc.
Test Bench Examples:
- Steering Wheel test stands
- Hydraulic motor and pump with electrical brakes
- PTO (Power Take-Off)
- Gearbox test stands
- Pressure cycle test bench
- Torque converter
- Driveline test stands
- Valve test stands (Directional, Cartridge etc.)
ADwin for Real-Time Control:
ADwin real-time systems are ideal for intelligent data acquisition and control applications. Utilizing the programmability of the ADwin local CPU, the user can run real-time and/or control programs with fast execution speeds in the kHz to the MHz range.
The ADwin system performs both the control and the stimulation (force-or position-controlled), as well as wave function generation (either numerical or measured). ADwin also performs the feedback measurement and analysis.
ADwin PID Benchmarks:
- T-11 processor: 20xPID @ 100kHz = Very fast control--a speed of 10-25x is typical.
- T-12 processor: 32xPID @ 300kHz = Extremely high-speed control enabling the most demanding test bench applications.
During the test, ADwin monitors and records data on key values including RPM, Speed, Pressure, Torque, Displacement etc. ADwin’s onboard SHARC DSP processor with its own local memory handles system management, data acquisition, online processing and control of outputs. Processing of each measurement can occur immediately after acquisition.
The ADwin-Light-16 is an intelligent real-time data acquisition and control system with analog and digital inputs and outputs, counters and a microprocessor with local memory. They are ideal, low-priced solutions for fast DAQ and control in real time under Windows. Light-16 systems are optimal for small-channel (1-2) test applications.
Different configurations and expansion modules make these boards cost-effective for application-specific use.
Users can program mathematical operations and functions which are executed immediately after each sampling step even at sampling rates as high as 100 kHz.
The ADwin-Pro is a modular data acquisition system housed in a benchtop or rack-mountable enclosure. Different I/O boards and expansion modules allow the ADwin-Pro to be configured for specific uses. Communication with the host PC can be done through either USB or Ethernet. Plug-in boards support Analog and Digital I/O, Counter/Timers, PWM signal I/O, Thermocouples and RTD’s, GB or MB input modules, Serial, CAN, and Fieldbus communication.
PRO systems execute mathematical operations and functions immediately even at sampling rates as high as 1.25 MHz.
Datalogging with Real-Time Pre-processing of Data
Adlog datalogger software consists of two parts, a data collection routine that runs on the ADwin system, and a display and storage application that runs on the PC. The PC application reads the data from the ADwin, graphs it, and then logs it to one or more files. ADwin software upgrades are free of charge.
Up to 8 graph windows can be displayed and data can be plotted vs. data index or time. ADwin can also scale the data and apply different mathematical functions (such as low-pass filter) before the data is plotted.
The data can be saved as ASCII, binary or DIAdem format, and in a single file or multiple time-stamped files. Recording can be started manually or triggered based on data from the ADwin.
- Intelligent data acquisition with online analysis in real-time along with complex triggering performed at every sampling step
- Perform mathematical calculations online in the ADwin system including statistics such as RMS, min/max, mean, integral, derivative, correlation, digital filters, FFT, signal analysis, etc.
- Run other functions in addition to data acquisition on the same system including open- and closed loop control functions and signal & waveform generation.
Categories Related To This Application
The below links will lead you to a listing of products to the respective category.
- 4-20mA Data Loggers
- Data Acquisition Systems
- Data Acquisition and Control Systems
- Data Loggers for Machine Monitoring
- Digital and Event Data Loggers
- Ethernet Data Loggers
- Force and Strain Gauge Data Loggers
- High Channel Count Data Acquisition
- High Speed Data Acquisition Systems
- High Speed Data Loggers
- Industrial Data Loggers
- Laboratory Temperature Monitoring
- Motion Sensor Data Loggers
- RTD Data Loggers
- Serial Data Loggers
- Temperature Data Acquisition Systems
- Temperature Data Loggers
- Temperature Monitoring
- Test Stand Data Acquisition
- Thermocouple Data Acquisition Systems
- Thermocouple Data Loggers
- Transient Data Acquisition Systems
- USB Data Acquisition
- Vibration Data Acquisition System
- Voltage Data Acquisition
Products Related To This Application
Compact Real-Time Data Acquisition and Control System
- 8 Analog Inputs, 16-Bit, 10 μs ADC
- 2 Analog Outputs, 16-Bit
- 6 Digital Inputs, 6 Digital Outputs TTL/CMOS Compatible
- 2 - 32-Bit Counters
- Additional DIO expansion, CAN and Counter options
- PCI, CompactPCI, and EURO Card and Stand-alone version
- USB or Ethernet communications interfaces
Modular Real-Time Data Acquisition and Control System
- Analog In (Multiplex and Parallel A/D), Analog Out, Digital I/O, Counters, CAN, Serial Cards
- Full, Half and Quarter Rack Mainframes, AC or DC Power Versions
- High Performance DSP Processor
- Up to 480 Analog Inputs, Digital I/O or a Combination of These