Improved Wireless Security for WPA2 Protected Devices
You may have read about the recently discovered Key Reinstallation AttaCKs (KRACKs) vulnerability which enables hacking attacks via Wi-Fi for virtually all WPA2-protected Wi-Fi connected devices.
In response, TandD (T&D) Corporation has released a firmware update for its wireless TR-7wf, RTR-500AW and TR-700AW units which addresses this vulnerability. Updates for the RTR-500W can only be made on units with serial numbers that end in 1000 or greater. Earlier units are not upgradable due to hardware restrictions.
Firmware updates for these products can be downloaded from T&D’s website here.
If you need a secure solution for data collection, TandD wireless monitoring systems are ideal for temperature monitoring applications and more. Call an Applications Engineer at (800) 956-4437 or contact us here.
About the WPA2 Vulnerability (aka KRACKs):
Lately it’s been reported that a newly-discovered vulnerability known as ‘KRACKs (Key Reinstallation AttaCKs)’ affects the ubiquitous WPA2 wireless security protocol. The effects on T&D products and their subsequent security measures are described below.
* TR-71wf/72wf wireless data loggers (including -H and -S types)
* TR-75wf wireless LAN temperature data loggers.
* RTR-500AW wireless ethernet network base station.
* TR-701AW/702AW (including -H type)
The biggest risk is potential loss or falsification of data, such as measurement data sent by the affected products. Fortunately, with this vulnerability, there is no concern about the risk of someone stealing your wireless LAN password or illegally accessing the internal network.
- The T&D firmware (a core part of the device) cannot be rewritten through unauthorized access.
- Even if the data destination setting is changed by an attack and it causes the affected product(s) to send data to an incorrect IP address in the internal network, the transmission interval will remain within the setting range–therefore attacks such as a Denial of Service (DoS) cannot occur.
T&D for Wireless Data Collection:
Do you need to monitor temperature for an industrial process, a medical storage unit, or in a warehouse? For all these needs, T&D has the ideal solution! TandD is Japan’s bestselling manufacturer of temperature data loggers, popular worldwide for their reliable and affordable wireless monitoring systems.
T&D offers compact, water-proof temperature loggers for harsh environments; wireless temperature and humidity data loggers with USB, Bluetooth or Ethernet interfaces; voltage data loggers, and micro web servers. It’s easy to install and use these cost-effective solutions, no matter the application.